Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945 and offers the nation’s largest nonprofit health plan, extending across nine states and the District of Columbia. Kaiser Permanente serves over three million members in Northern California and provides full-services clinical partners for our educational programs throughout the greater Bay Area and Sacramento regions. Kaiser Permanente aspires to be the world leader in improving health through affordable, integrated care. Its strong social mission and an enduring partnership between our health plan and our medical groups distinguish Kaiser Permanente from other health care providers.
The school was established by Gwen Jackson with support from Tony Gateley and The Permanente Medical Group in 1989 as the Kaiser Permanente School of Radiology. It was fully accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT). The first campus was located at 1025 MacDonald Avenue in Richmond, CA, and was developed to meet the demands of technologist shortages and provide community outreach and vocational training.
In response to Kaiser Permanente's needs and regulatory changes, advance certificate programs in mammography, fluoroscopy, and venipuncture were developed in 1995.
In 2000, a Diagnostic Medical Sonography program (general concentration) was developed and implemented, along with a Nuclear Medicine Technology program following in 2002.
Due to the growth of enrollment, the School relocated to 325 Harbour Way in Richmond. The name of the School changed to Kaiser Permanente School of Allied Health Sciences to reflect a changing program mix and long-term strategic plans.
In 2003, the School relocated to its present location at 938 Marina Way South in Richmond, CA to accommodate further student enrollment growth.
In the same year, KPSAHS was granted approval to operate as a vocational school by the California Bureau of Private Post-Secondary and Vocational Education.
A phlebotomy certificate program was also developed and implemented that year.
In 2004, a Radiation Therapy Program was implemented, with the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program (Cardiac Concentration) following in 2010.
KPSAHS began the process of obtaining regional accreditation through the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) in 2011. The school received accreditation from the WASC Senior College and University Commission effective September 2014.
In 2017 we introduced a Medical Assisting program whose reputation has grown beyond our expectations. Students receive training on proprietary software, engage in various community service events, have the opportunity to have Kaiser Permanente physicians and other organizational leaders as guest speakers in various courses, and spend an entire academic quarter in their clinical rotation at a Kaiser Permanente facility practicing what they have learned.
With our WSCUC accreditation, we launched our first offering at a master’s level with a Master of Science in Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy Concentration. We are very aware of the need for mental health clinicians and are very proud of the initial results and feedback from our partners in the mental health arena.